PT Together Episode 10 with Darryl Yardley, Bahram Jam, Emma Swaffield, and Ryan Wells - Resources
On Friday May 8, 2020 Embodia hosted Episode 10 of PT Together with Darryl Yardley, Bahram Jam, Emma Swaffield, Maggie Bergeron, and Ryan Wells.
Throughout the webinar, there was an abundance of resources shared and many clinics have started to hire! Embodia offered to put this together in a blog post, which is what you will find below.
- If you missed the live session, you can watch it in the free online course here: PT Together free online course for physiotherapists
- Virtual Rules slide deck by Will Falk who, since retiring from PwC, consults with several organizations that are trying to improve healthcare through policy and digital innovation. He is an Executive in Residence with ThinkReseach working with the executive team to developed clinical knowledge management solutions. He is a Senior Fellow at the CD Howe Institute and has two appointments at the U of T as an Adjunct Professor and Executive-in-Residence at Rotman and as an Executive Fellow at the Mowat Centre. He serves as a Board Advisor at Alayacare and an Innovation Fellow at Women’s College Hospital (WIHV). He teaches a course in Health Innovation at Rotman with Zayna Khayat.
- Telerehabilitation is non-inferior to usual care following total hip replacement — a randomized controlled non-inferiority trial - click here.
- College of Physiotherapists of Ontario website has a new private practice page for updates during COVID-19 pandemic.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Information
- Canadian Physiotherapy Association PPE and Infection Control Suppliers List here.
- The COVID PPE HELP is a network that connects customers, suppliers, donors, and logistics to fulfill PPE needs across Canada.
- Government of Canada Personal protective equipment against COVID-19 here.
- Centers for Diseases Control and Prevention sequence for puttiong on personal protective equipment (PPE) here.
Who's hiring physiotherapists?
- Physioconnect (Mississauga) is hiring a physiotherapist
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Glenda Labine (Bolton ON) is looking for a physiotherapist wanting to use their persistent pain skills with virtual care and Gunn IMS. They will also be introduced to neuroactivation using Redcord suspension system and be able to treat in a small clinic with private treatment Rooms.
- Contact: email@example.com
- Bayshore Physical Therapy (Owen Sound): has an amazing opportunity for a passionate physiotherapist who has a strong interest in orthopedics. We also have an opportunity for a Physical Therapist with an interest in a portion of their caseload in Pelvic Health.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Alberta Health Servies: 3 Calgary Zone Adult Acute Care sites (Foothills Medical Centre, Peter Lougheed Centre and Rockyview General Hospital) are currently recruiting for Casual Physiotherapist I positions. More details here.
- Contact: Maija Mills email@example.com
- K-Town Physiotherapy (Kingston)
- Contact: Scott Fraser at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mariposa Physiotherapy & Rehabilitation (Orillia, ON)
- Contact: Kelly Spears at email@example.com
- CBI is hiring in Ontario, specifically in the GTA
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Radius Health Clinic is a multidisciplinary clinic that primarily caters to women’s health. They are currently looking to hire a Physiotherapist who has an interest in MSK and/or Pelvic Health. New grads are encouraged to apply! Full job posting can be found here.
- Contact: Grecia Alaniz PT, MScPT email@example.com
- WESTPRO Physiotherapy is looking for another physiotherapist with a passion for rehabilitation and fantastic work-life balance to join our team! If you are looking for a new opportunity to provide high-end treatments to a vibrant community, we want to hear from you.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Honsberger Physio+ just hired 1 new grad and they are on the search for another to join their team
A very generous summary from Diana Hopkins-Rosseel (School of Rehabilitation Therapy, Queen's University)
We need to remember that this may be our last chance to make it clear to the public, referral sources, and insurers that we are the profession positioned to take on post-COVID-19 hospital discharge and post-isolation management towards return of optimal function. We have submitted two grants to that effect but I don’t see this in the clinical realm. We need to shout from the rafters. It then becomes a broadening of our private scope (i.e. chronic disease prevention and management, thoracic assessment, and intervention – musculoskeletal paired with pulmonary/cardiac).
Here are the very best COVID-19 rehab resources:
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Daily Epidemiology Update (Updated May5, 2020, 11 a.m. EDT). Government of Canada (2020). Accessed May 5, 2020, 2020 at - https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html
- UCSF Health Hospital Epidemiology and Infection Prevention COVID-19 Global Clinical Knowledge Base; The goal of this site is to compile a comprehensive but curated directory of publicly-available practice guidelines, clinical protocols, and other resources related to COVID-19. We hope this resource will encourage clinicians and medical organizations to share knowledge and compare practices with peers. Submitted resources are reviewed by a team of medical professionals for accuracy and relevance. We do not specifically endorse any resource posted on this site. [295 Resources] https://infectioncontrol.ucsfmedicalcenter.org/covid-kb; accessed 5 May 2020.
- Thomas P, Baldwin C, Bissett B, Boden I, Gosselink R, Granger CL, Hodgson C, Jones AY, Kho ME, Moses R, Ntoumenopoulos G. Physiotherapy management for COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting: clinical practice recommendations. Journal of Physiotherapy. 2020 Mar 30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphys.2020.03.011
- Lisa Mary Sheehy Considerations for post-acute rehabilitation for survivors of COVID-19; Submitted to: JMIR Public Health and Surveillance Apr 18, 2020. https://preprints.jmir.org/preprint/19462
- European Respiratory Society COVID-19 and Rehabilitation Expert-based opinion on early and short-term rehabilitative interventions in COVID-19 survivors after the acute hospital setting; Martijn Spruit, ERS Head of Allied Health Professionals Assembly; 3 April, 2020. https://www.ersnet.org/covid-19-blog/covid-19-and-rehabilitation
- Rehabilitation following critical illness in people with COVID-19 infection https://journals.lww.com/ajpmr/Abstract/9000/Rehabilitation_following_critical_illness_in.98021.aspx
- Systematic rapid "living" review on rehabilitation needs due to covid-19: update to march 31st 2020.https://www.minervamedica.it/en/getfreepdf/gTb6gJTu5%252BfHpSPmcEIgUWgB3ybmb4QoOi99XM6e3JPrPAW3G6wRXpqcgEWQoCgowl2%252F9tcfWnJMiurISCyMRA%253D%253D/R33Y9999N00A20042201.pdf
- Rehabilitation management of patients with COVID-19. Lessons learned from the first experiences in China. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/research/coronavirus/publication/32329589
- Physical exercise as therapy to fight against the mental and physical consequences of COVID-19 quarantine: Special focus in older people https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7118448/
- Rehabilitation of COVID-19 Patients https://www.medicaljournals.se/jrm/content/html/10.2340/16501977-2678
- A randomised controlled trial of the effectiveness of an exercise training program in patients recovering from severe acute respiratory syndrome https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0004951405700027?via%3Dihub
- Physiotherapy management for COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting: clinical practice recommendation https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/research/coronavirus/publication/32312646
- Benefits of Exercise on Influenza or Pneumonia in Older Adults: A Systematic Review. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/research/coronavirus/publication/32294922
- Epidemiological summary of COVID-19 cases in Canada: https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid-19/epidemiological-summary-covid-19-cases.html#a2
- Shoenfeld Y. Corona (COVID-19) time musings: Our involvement in COVID-19 pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment and vaccine planning. Autoimmunity Reviews. 2020 Apr 5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7131471/
- Shereen MA, Khan S, Kazmi A, Bashir N, Siddique R. COVID-19 infection: origin, transmission, and characteristics of human coronaviruses. Journal of Advanced Research. 2020 Mar 16. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2020.03.005
- Gardner K. Physical Therapist Management of Patients With Diagnosed or Suspected COVID-19. https://www.apta.org/PatientCare/COVID-19/PatientManagementAdult/
- Landry MD, Geddes L, Moseman AP, Lefler JP, Raman SR, van Wijchen J. Early reflection on the global impact of COVID19, and implications for physiotherapy. Physiotherapy. 2020 Mar 20. https://www.physiotherapyjournal.com/article/S0031-9406(20)30025-0/abstract
- Tumlinson A, Altman W, Glaudemans J, Gleckman H, Grabowski DC. Post‐Acute Care Preparedness in a COVID‐19 World. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2020 Apr 28. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/jgs.16519
- Hogan DB, MacKnight C, Madden KM, Montero‐Odasso M, Stall N. Canadian Geriatrics In The Time Of Covid‐19. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society. 2020 Apr 28. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdfdirect/10.1111/jgs.16518
Connect to the physiotherapy and clinic owner communities:
- The Clinician Hotline Facebook Group (run by Darryl Yardley)
- Talk2Darryl (book a call with Darryl Yardley)
- The Clinic Owner Hotline Facebook Group (run by Rick Lau)
- Jayne Hembruff <email@example.com> would like to connect with PT’s and other health care professionals to collaborate to offer yoga therapy to help their clients mental and physical wellness
Federal and provincial financial support for businesses
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) program
Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA) program
"The only way out is through, and the only way through is together." - Dr. Shanté Cofield