Best practice for telerehabilitation
Telerehabilitation is an emerging area of practice for physiotherapists and rehabilitation professionals. Due to extenuating circumstances that started to worsen last week (week of March 9 2020), Embodia decided to forge ahead and create a cost-efficient and simple telerehabilitation platform. However, telerehab is a relatively new area with limited published best practices and each therapist and clinic needs to decide if telerehab is right for their practice and which patients on their caseload could benefit from a virtual visit.
As the situation with COVID-19 continues to evolve rapidly, we will continue to update this section of the course with new resources and best practice guidelines that are published by trusted sources. If you come across any resources that you think would be helpful to share with the community, please reach out to me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Alternatively, feel free to post your resources in the discussion form enabled in this course. Connect with your peers, share resources, and ask your questions.
There has never been a more significant time in our professional history where we need to come together as a community and support each other. That is why the Embodia Telerehab platform is free for all Embodia Members with absolutely no change in your membership fee.
"Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success." -Henry Ford.
Here's to supporting and caring for each other and coming out the other side stronger together,
PT, Co-Founder Embodia
Here's a list of best practice guidelines and resources:
- Current State of COVID-19: Tele-Rehabilitation and Business Interruption Insurance (March 17)
- The CPA's Position on Tele-Rehabilitation
- Tele-rehabilitation in Physiotherapy (College of Physiotherapists of Ontario)
- Telerehabilitation Resource Guide for Alberta Physiotherapists (Physiotherapy Alberta College + Association)
- Wired on Development: Therapy Online - Easy ways to use tech
- TÉLÉRÉADAPTATION: PRINCIPES DIRECTEURS EN PHYSIOTHÉRAPIE (Ordre professionnel de la physiotherapie du Quebec)
- Telerehabilitation Resource Guide for Manitoba Physiotherapists (College of Physiotherapists of Manitoba)
- COVID-19: VIRTUAL HEALTH CARE SERVICES ENSURING CONTINUITY OF CARE IN CANADA
- Centre for Connected Health Policy: The National Telehealth Policy Resource Centre (US)
- American Physical Therapy Association: Telehealth
- Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators - publications including cross-border physiotherapy and telereheabilitation
- COTO guidelines for telepractice in Occupational Therapy