How Interactive Patient Education Will Change Your Practice
Research has shown that patients care most about feeling cared for, feeling heard and understanding their role in recovery (Hush et al., 2011).
Communication is critical to helping patients. A common discussion I've had when doing interviews with prominent therapists, like Bahram Jam, Jason Bellefleur and Shawn Thistle, is that our ability to educate patients effectively is directly related to their outcomes.
"The best therapists are the ones who use their ears effectively, not their hands." - Shawn Thistle
The most important part of the education process takes place in the clinic, but providing additional resources can complement clinical practice and increase patient satisfaction. Providing paper handouts may still be standard practice, but this trend is shifting - increasingly web-savvy patients are actively seeking health information online and are starting to expect healthcare practitioners to make use of technology.
The visual and interactive methods offered by technology lead to increased engagement and better results, not to mention it can save you time and improve your workflow. Paper handouts are easily lost and verbal instructions are easily forgotten.
Instead of searching through a file of papers to find the right handout, or printing something out online, Embodia has a library of resources that you can send to your patient with a few clicks.
Uploading your own resources to Embodia is simple - you can create your own library of content, which can be video, text and/or images, to help educate your patients.
We focus on video content on Embodia since people retain 6 times more information if they see and hear something versus just seeing it, reinforcing the idea that videos can boost patient empowerment and engagement.
Embodia for home exercise prescription (HEP) allows practitioners to share valuable and easy to follow video exercises and education that guide patients between their sessions. Patients feel engaged and motivated to continue with gentle reminders, notifications, and easy progress tracking. Most importantly, they have clear instructions showing them how to perform the exercises when they are at home. Mobile applications do not replace the clinical encounter, but they are a useful tool and an extension of delivering personalized HEPs in an existing therapeutic partnership.
Key Benefit: Improve Patient Outcomes
- Provide patients with easy access to HEP via free mobile apps and a secure website;
- Improve understanding and compliance with a professionally produced library of 1,000+ exercises and educational videos each demonstrating proper technique; and
- Enable practitioners to easily and securely capture video of patients being coached through exercises.
Hear from one of our Canadian patients using Embodia:
At the heart of Embodia is the Patient Home Exercise Program (HEP).
Hear what patients have to say at embodiaapp.com
“It shows you exactly what to do, when to do it and in what order to do your exercises.
It’s like going from the stone age to the modern age.” - Bill R.
Practitioner Prescribing and Monitoring
Key Benefit: Provide Efficient Workflows for Practitioners
- Quickly build patient home exercise programs and easily prescribe with one click, prescriptions which instantly appear in the secure patient app;
- Seamlessly capture videos of patients being coached through exercises and make these videos available to patients;
- Track patient progress, including completion rate, symptom levels, notes, functional goals, and other measures between visits using the patient dashboard;
- As a health system partner, Vital has the option to set up a branded private Academy, a learning management system for both clinical and administrative staff; and,
- Integrate your own Vital practice guidelines, tools, and systems and expand the content library with Vital exercises and videos.
Embodia was founded by a physiotherapist, we know just how important practitioner efficiency is.
“Remember how resistant I was at first? Now, I can't imagine working without it. It has changed my practice for the better, and my patients love the app! Embodia has made it so easy to make the transition to digital sharing of exercises for patients and knowledge for clinicians.”
- Carolyn Vandyken